don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 


A selection of recent occurrences is shown strictly for the purpose of maintaining or improving aviation safety and should not be used to attribute blame or liability.

PAN declared due to engine malfunction

At 1505 a locally based aircraft, reported a pan due to engine trouble. He was 10 miles north, in receipt of a basic service. His intention was to land back. I cleared him to enter CAS and make a straight in approach. The emergency services were notified as per 'full emergency' call-out procedure by the adi controller. D and D were advised at 1508. The aircraft was able to maintain altitude and did not require navigational assistance. At 1509 the aircraft was transferred to tower frequency. At 1515 he landed safely, and the services were stood down.  

Pilot reported needing to vacate the runway as he had a brake fire with sparks and flames.

A/c with 2 POB was conducting a practice rejected take off. On completion the pilot reported needing to vacate the runway as he had a brake fire with sparks and flames observed by the pilot. An Aircraft ground Incident was called and the fire crews reported that the aircraft was not in any danger and was allowing the brakes to cool before continuing his flight. 

Aircraft returned due to elevator control restriction.

A noticeable elevator control restriction was observed on departure. Although the controls were not fully jammed it was evident that pitch control required excessive force, combined with the aileron being much firmer than normal. For this reason I elected to level off initially at FL70 and return to base. During the return leg I carried out some gentle GH observing co-ordinated with ATC and there was no improvement. I believe the restriction was greater when pitching up rather than down. At this stage I did not report a PAN as the flight was still under safe control, and made a non eventful landing back at base.  

MAYDAY declared due to rough running engine.

Called a mayday on the frequency to indicate a rough running engine and that he was attempting to land at disused aerodrome. The Police and d+d were informed of the incident. Approx 20 mins later the pilot was heard saying the aircraft had landed safely and he was ok. We attempted to use other aircraft in the vicinity as a relay without success to find out if the pilot required medical assistance. The police phoned ATC at approx 1440 to say they were in attendance at the scene. 

Wheels up landing. 

The aircraft is an Amphibious aircraft type which is regularly operated from both water and land. Because of it's ability to land on water with the gear up there is no gear warning or any other alert to warn of gear position. There was nothing unusual about the day of the accident other than the sun which was directly in line with the landing runway which provided a degree of distraction. The approach was normal with all checks completed by 500 feet. Flaps set. Propeller fine. Mixture rich. Everything but the landing gear. Exactly the configuration required for landing on water. Touchdown was smooth and the aircraft decelerated quickly in a straight line coming to a stop with the starboard sponson resting on the tarmac. As this event is a regular occurrence for this type of aircraft, there is a rubbing strip provided on the keel and only this strip was lightly damaged. Neither occupant was injured and emergency services were quickly in attendance. Recovery of the aircraft was swift. The aircraft was jacked, gear lowered and taxied to its parking position.  

Birdstrike Event. 

On rotation during a VFR departure the instructor observed a red kite (bird) with spread wings very close to the aircraft travelling across the runway towards the aircraft flight path just above ground level. The instructor took control and pitched up but then heard a bang as the bird impacted the left side of the aircraft. The birdstrike was reported to ATC and a decision was made to abort the sortie. A low-level circuit was flown with the gear extended and the aircraft landed safely. The aircraft was taxied to the maintenance facility for inspection for any damage and an 'overweight landing' check. Maintenance inspection revealed that the bird had struck the underside of the  nose on the left side. Stains were evident but no damage. Airport staff reported that no bird remains were found following runway inspection but a buzzard was observed in the area - and seemed initially 'reluctant to fly'  

Front and Rear Cockpit ASI's inoperative.

Basic Gliding Lesson launched by aerotow to 2000ft AGL to carry out primary effects of controls lesson. No aerobatic or spin manoeuvres. Instructor to be handling pilot during launch and below 500ft AGL. During the launch phase of flight it became apparent to the handling pilot that both air speed indicators were inoperative in the two seat basic training glider. The instructor chose to continue the launch to a safe height of 2000ft where he undertook a handling check. The glider and all other instruments functioned in the correct manner. The glider landed without any further incident. 

Aircraft Discovered To Be U/S Pre Flight.

The A/C was flown to be on display. The pilot reports the daily check was normal and the transit  flight uneventful. After the meeting, while pilots were viewing the aircraft, the CFI reported to the pilot that the horizontal stabiliser appeared to have excessive movement. The pilot confirmed this and reported to the Ops Manager. He made a physical inspection of the stabiliser and confirmed the opinions of the CFI and the pilot declared the aircraft unfit to fly. The Service Agent was informed and inspection/repair arranged. This reinforces the need for pre-flight checks to be carried out thoroughly, particularly on second flights of the day, even if the same pilot is flying the aircraft.

website by Hudson Berkley Reinhart Ltd