don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 


A selection of recent occurrences is shown strictly for the purpose of maintaining or improving aviation safety and should not be used to attribute blame or liability.

Bird strike with damage or system problems


Noticed a number of birds on the port side of the aircraft and took avoiding action turning right on 30degree banked turn approx. Suddenly felt an impact thud and the aircraft immediately adopted a port wing down attitude losing height and with the aircraft developing the start characteristics of a spin. Took immediate reaction using full right rudder and recovered to a stable level flight situation to assess the damage and to ensure passengers were OK. Nothing found affecting primary controls in an untoward way to expedited the return to airfield and announced the bird strike incident to ATC, giving them information that as far as I was concerned there was no need to call a MAYDAY or PAN. 


Loss of power resulting in forced landing. No injuries and no damage to A/c.


Once airborne the usual practice of lowering the nose until speed increased to 70mph - then established in the climb speed built to 80mph - upon passing 100 feet the power appeared to decay and the speed decayed to 60mph - upon lowering the nose to attempt to maintain level flight it quickly became evident that whilst elevator and aileron control remained effective the aircraft was losing height and further attempts to return to climb produced the stall warning horn. With no apparent reason for the decay and at such a low altitude it was deemed safer to land straight ahead into a barley crop field than to attempt any further in flight investigations. The flare was standard and the touchdown was gentle with the landing roll on the wet surface 75 yards with a slight left turn down slope at the end of the roll as a field boundary wall was evident 10yards further on- the entire distance travelled from the end of the runway was around 600meters. The usual safety checks to secure the aircraft were completed - - there were no injuries and no damage to the aircraft the Police attended and the AAIB phoned but then confirmed in view of the situation neither had further interest and the AAIB authorised the removal of the aircraft from the field, it was then extracted with help from the local farmer to the hangar for investigation by the engineer.

Rejected take-off due to suspected brake issue. 


On taxi out, aware that a left main gear wheel assembly had been changed, the aircraft was manoeuvred on the ground and both steering and braking found to be normal. Aircraft stopped short of runway and park brake applied. When cleared to enter and backtrack park brake released and aircraft taxied normally into position. Single pilot non-revenue flight and so all actions from LHS. Engines were brought to 95% N1 and stability confirmed. Park brake released with the aircraft being held on toe-brakes. Toe-brakes release and the aircraft rolled forward. Acceleration was observed to be slower than expected and, although a slight crosswind existed, more left rudder input than anticipated was required to maintain centreline position. Take-off aborted and tower informed. Emergency services not requested. During the deceleration (from only approximately 30kts) it was observed that the aircraft increasingly wanted to pull to the right. Aircraft brought to a standstill on the runway. As a brake issue was suspected the after land/shutdown check was executed and I exited the aircraft to check the temperature of the packs. No excessive heat was detected, and although there was a slight marking on the runway leading to the left main gear this didn’t not look significant enough to suggest a complete lock-up.The Chief Pilot joined the aircraft where we attempted to manually push the aircraft to see if we could rotate the wheels. We were unable to effect this and the aircraft remained immovable. The brake pedals were exercised several times left and right, the aircraft was then able to be moved by hand. One engine was started and the aircraft was repositioned to Engineering with braking and steering checked from both seats and found to be normal. Aircraft was then handed to engineering for inspection, testing and release shortly afterwards with no fault found.

Altitude deviation. Aircraft descended below cleared 3500' to 3100' before climbing.


Whilst operating as director I was vectoring aircraft who was No 2 in sequence for ILS runway. Aircraft was on a wide right base for runway being vectored around unknown traffic tracking NW and their clear level was 3.5A and this was read back correctly. Aircraft given closing heading to establish localiser and reported established at approximately 15 miles from touchdown. A/c told to continue with localiser. At 14 miles from touchdown I noticed mode C - 3.1A descending. Instructed a/c to climb immediately to 3.5A QNH 999, this was read back correctly. The a/c did climb initially but then I notice it descend to 3.1A again. For the second time I told a/c climb immediately 3.5A QNH 999 and again this was read back correctly. The a/c climbed back to 3.5A and further descent was given at 12 miles from touchdown to descend with the glide-path. The a/c continued with no further incident and was terrain safe at all times.  


Landing gear collapsed. 


As the ADC ATCO I observed the aircraft swerve and then partially spin on landing, coming to a stop approximately at the touchdown markers. I asked the pilot if he required assistance to which he replied no. I alerted the RFFS and requested that they attend the a/c to see if any assistance was required. The a/c was then observed to turn off power. The RFFS were en-route to the a/c when with the aid of binoculars it could be seen that the a/c was leaning to the left and on reaching the a/c the RFFS reported that the port undercarriage had in fact collapsed. The two a/c occupants were unhurt and with the aid of the RFFS the a/c was pushed clear of the runway onto the grass and eventually to the Flying School. The runway was inspected and a slight gouge mark was found where it was suspected the port wing had contacted the runway. The runway was declared serviceable and re-opened at 12:15 Z. Reporting action was completed with the LACC watch manager who agreed to contact AAIB and send the ACCID signal.

Gear did not retract. Circuit breaker to the landing gear had been pulled.


Aircraft returned after taking off as unable to raise gear. A check of the cockpit revealed that the circuit breaker was out. The circuit breaker to the landing gear had been pulled by the technician working on the aircraft to stop the hydraulic pump cycling whilst the master switch was on. It had not been reset at the end of the work


Aircraft Took Off without a clearance.


Aircraft was instructed to line up and wait from taxiway Golf and backtrack as required for departure. The student pilot was on his First Solo flight and had been held at taxiway Golf, for approximately 5 minutes, prior to departure, to ensure that the student did not have to orbit unnecessarily to implement standing agreement co-ordination between another local airfield, also to minimize airborne time. The instructor pilot was in the Visual Control Room at the time of the occurrence, and will be filing a DASOR. Aircraft, back tracked to runway threshold, turned the aircraft around and commenced his take-off run without a clearance at 11:30. As the student pilot was on his first solo, and the runway was free from obstructions, the decision was taken to allow the aircraft to depart, and not further complicate the situation by instruction it to stop. Aircraft completed his first solo flight without incident and landed safely at 11:33.  


Aircraft landed without acknowledging clearance due to radio failure.


While operating as tower ATCO I observed a/c on radar. The aircraft did not call me and I received a call from the radar ATCO asking if it was on my frequency. After multiple broadcasts it had not responded but was not responding to the radar ATCO either. Treating the situation like radio fail I broadcast that the aircraft was cleared to land twice. After landing at 1706 he made contact telling me he had heard all my transmissions and replied but he believed there to be a fault with his radio. I initiated a local standby at 1705 at the request of the SCOD. This was then stood down at 1707 as the aircraft had made contact.


Supplementary: This occurred while operating an ambulance flight. During the flight no problems were experienced with the PTT button or radio. I was descending on the VOR/DME approach. At 5 miles out I was transferred to destination Tower. The frequency was already pre selected in the standby position. I acknowledged the frequency change as normal and changed frequencies. I waited approximately 10 seconds to prevent any interruption of ongoing conversations then called the tower, at approximately 4 miles. Initially I did not get a response from the tower, I assumed they may have been on the phone as this happens from time to time. After a short period I called again, then I did hear the controller ask if I was on frequency. By this time I was at less than 3 DME. I replied confirming I was established stating my DME distance. After 10 seconds they called again by now I was certain she was not receiving my transmissions. Approaching 2 miles I was deciding whether to conduct a go around or not. The controller then issued a clearance to land which I acknowledged. Seeing there was very little in the way of traffic on the ground and around the airfield airspace, I decided continuing the approach to landing was the safest policy based on being given a clearance to land. The landing was normal. On shut down and inspection of the pilots control column I could see the contact wire from the pilot's PTT button had become detached. The aircraft was grounded until an engineer arrived later that evening. The necessary repairs were carried out and recorded and the aircraft departed back to base with functional communications at around 22:00. All was normal on this flight.







website by Hudson Berkley Reinhart Ltd